Research Beyond VT
Summer Research Resources
There are many research opportunities available across the country in every conceivable field. Many are competitive, paid, and full-time. Deadlines vary but are most commonly in late Fall or early Spring. Visit OUR Research Opportunities page to get started. Also check out VT's Handshake site.
If you know what you are interested in or a specific company/agency you would like to work with, simply post those terms in your browser to see what's out there. Most federal and state agencies offer summer research programs and/or internships. Here are links to a few popular programs:
- Database for REU Programs
- Department of Defense DoDSTEM Internships
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) is designed to inspire undergraduate students to pursue careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) through a unique research experience that supports the NIST mission.
Summer 2022 flyer
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
- National Geographic Internships
- Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program
- Pathways to Science Undergraduate Research Database
- PathwaysToScience.org has a searchable database of 650+ summer research programs in all STEM disciplines. These are all FULLY FUNDED opportunities including programs sponsored by NSF, NASA, NIH, etc. They also have a selection of resources to help you strengthen your applications.
- Psychology Research List
Visit PsychResearchList, where the goal is to make Psychology more transparent and accessible. PsychResearchList offers various lists of paid internships, virtual graduate school information sessions, post-baccalaureatejobs, resources for applying to graduate school, Psychology Twitter, Psychology Conferences, International Moral Psychology List, and Psychology Lecture Exchange for academics in all career stages (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, graduate, postdoctoral, and faculty).
- STEM Fellowship Database
Looking for a STEM fellowship? Check out Científico Latino’s database of opportunities, containing over 180 fellowships, including those for international students!
For examples of successful fellowship applications (NSF-GFRP, Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship).
For students currently applying to graduate school, we have a list of fellowships you may be eligible for.
- Summer Education Research Program (SERP)
The Summer Education Research Program (SERP) is sponsored by the School of Education (SoE) and the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Graduate School. This program provides traditionally underrepresented undergraduate students interested in pursuing graduate studies related to the School of Education the opportunity to engage in independent research. Research is guided by a faculty/research associate mentor in or affiliated with the School of Education and offers a competitive $4500 stipend for participants as well as other amenities, including travel expenses to Madison and housing.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) at the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST)
- US Department of Energy Scholars program
- US Food and Drug Administration Fellowships and Programs
- And here is an amazing list of links compiled by the University of Washington
Contact an Undergraduate Research Ambassador