Students: Summer Undergraduate Research at Virginia Tech
Welcome to your summer research experience at Virginia Tech!
Summer Research Period May 24 - July 29, 2021
Orientation May 25, 2021
Summer Research Conference July 29, 2021
Summer Experiences to Build Research Skills
The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) is excited to announce its summer program, aimed at supporting in-person and virtual summer researchers as well as students wanting to gain skills that will prepare them to engage in research during the academic year. All activities are free of charge.
Starting on May 24, the OUR summer program includes:
- Undergraduate Research Training Series: Developed by University Libraries, this 6-module self-paced virtual training series provides students with the building blocks to engage in research. Modules include: Becoming a Researcher, Using Data and Information Ethically, Managing and Organizing Data, Managing and Organizing Information, Writing Successful Proposals, Abstracts & Titles, and Sharing Your Research. Students can earn a certificate of completion and list this series on their resume. In order to participate, students must register.
- Professional Development Workshops and Seminars: Students can participate in live (or recorded) virtual weekly workshops and presentations designed to complement the training modules. Session topics will include Communicating Your Research, Writing a Personal Statement, Graduate School Panel, Funding Graduate School, Highlighting Research Skills on your Resume, and a Research Alumni Panel- Where can research take you? Learn more and join these live sessions HERE.
- OUR Summer Research Conference: Scheduled for July 29, this virtual conference will give summer researchers an opportunity to share their work through short video presentations and engage with the VT community. Learn more on the conference webpage and register by 5pm, July 19.
- Undergraduate Research Alumni Discussion Group: This discussion group on Hokie Connect is moderated by the OUR and aims to connect students with VT alumni working in research fields. This is a great way to connect with VT alumni and build your personal network.
- Community: Even though some of us will be remote this summer, you don’t need to feel isolated. OUR summer peer mentors will build a virtual community for all summer researchers, offering support and fun virtual activities to complement their summer of remote or in-person research.
- Listserv: Join our summer listserv and keep informed of events and activities throughout the summer. Sign up HERE.
We invite students to take advantage of these free activities to learn something new, build their resume, connect with peers and alumni, and simply have some fun!
Please direct any questions to Keri Swaby.